Monday, January 19, 2009

Prayerful Protection
















Saturday morning January 17th began like many others for us Allen's. Tonia and the girls went to a GLOW girls activity at the local nursing home, Jon was doing something less girly and I was sleeping in a motel in Tuscola Illinois after having worked most of the previous night. When I woke up I phoned Tonia to say good morning and we chatted briefly about her plans to go shopping for wallpaper. She went shopping, I showered and spent some time reading in Genesis and Matthew. After that cam my usual time in prayer for various people especially our kids. Prayer is vastly under-rated these days and so we are attempting ot maintain it as a very high priority. I can not remember ever having prayed for Tonia's safety when she is only going shopping. Before long trips, and especially ones without me, yes, I always pray for the safety of my family, but not for mere shopping trips to the next big town. For some reason, that I now recognize as entirely from God Himself, in the midst of my praying, I did pray for Tonia's trip to be safe. An almost immediate answer was the result of this prayer. Not long later Tonia called to tell me that she had, while rounding a curve, slid off the road in the Montana, due to some packed snow and/or ice. A telephone pole stopped her from going into a field, the pole did not survive. The Montana did not survive either. Tonia, of course did. The airbags blew and she was wearing her seatbelt, and she is still feeling both today. Sunday was the worst for her soreness, today has been better. We are very blessed in that God most definitley answered the prayer that He caused me to pray just a bit earlier. We got exactly what I asked for. Of course now I wish I had asked that she not be in an accident, but we cannot and do not take lightly the most clear and immediate answer to my prayer. To add just a bit of thankfulness to our great God, the power lines that were downed as a result of the crash, were lying just outside Tonia's door when she got out. In fact she stepped over them a total of three times before the Police man told her, in no uncertain terms, to stay in the car and away from the lines (he wouldn't even get out of his car). When the utility company arrived the lineman confirmed that the lines were indeed LIVE! As you probably know, and now as we know, electrocution can occur even without touching the live wire, in fact being near the lines can be most deadly. Again we thank God for His protection and answer to prayer. We are thankful for many things as a result of this accident;










  1. No major injury to Tonia in the crash





  2. The situation did not turn very shocking





  3. Very nice college students who let Tonia sit in their car until help arrived





  4. The Baileys, friends from church, who picked Tonia up and took her home since I was out of town for work





  5. My bosses allowing me to skip the train ride home and opt for a van ride which was much quicker





  6. We get to get a new car! (new to us anyway)





  7. A great opportunity to proclaim the goodness of God





  8. Tonia's soreness has not been as bad as expected, so far





Psalm 34:1-10 I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul will make its boast in the Lord; The humble will hear it and rejoice. O magnify the Lord with me, And let us exalt His name together. I sought the Lord, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him And saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! O fear the Lord, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want. The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing. (NASB95)






Praise the LORD with us for His gracious protection!






Much Love From Us All!

3 comments:

Bill Avila said...

Im so sorry that this happened. Praise God everyone is ok....

Bill Avila

Matthew L. Pilch said...

Praise the Lord for His wonderful protection of you, Tonia! We're glad that you are safe and want to encourage your (from personal experience) to get to a good chiropractor immediately (as in yesterday)! It will save you much grief in the long run!

We love you guys!

digran23 said...

Praise God for His awesomeness!!! He knows before we do and is there before we are. I'm so glad you are safe! And,yippee!! for a new vehicle!

Di